Wednesday, June 15

Random Acts of Kindness... or Selfishness?

How cute is this..... Bambi and Andrex making buddies :P


Any fans of F.R.I.E.N.D.S out there will remember the episode where Phoebe tries to prove that all good deeds have hidden selfish implications! (I think its 'The One Where Phoebe Hates PBS)
Anyway: I couldn't agree with her more! The other day while shopping in M&S I let a woman skip me in the queue for the till. She went on to gush praise as she explained she was late for work and hadn't eaten breakfast! She was sooo grateful and it made me smile. But after a while I realized, it was more of a tactical move by me, to save embarrassment... I shall explain: my mam was stuck talking to someone, and I carried on to hold her place in line at the tills, only to discover I was nearly at the top and wouldn't have the money to pay, so I was more than happy to let the lady in front of me, claiming it was because she clearly had less items. But in actual fact I was only delaying the time until my mam returned with money!

Another similar event happened only this morning, when my boss rang me wondering if I knew anyone willing to work weekend shifts. Without thinking I suggested my friend who had been looking for work. When I informed him of this he seemed so appreciative, when all I had done was say his name. I hadn't gone and found out about the open position! Either way I often feel like I get praised for things I didn't do on purpose, or didn't think twice about... and no praise for things I do, which I would expect praise for.
Admittedly I am the kind of person to think about the little things, like making sure I give someone a card, if nothing else, to mark their birthdays, or never arrive at someones house empty handed! But I feel guilty for taking praise for things I didn't mean to do, or for things I did for my own benefit first!
But I am one to believe that what goes around comes around... in some way or another!

Like in the musical Bugsy Malone: you give a litte love and it all comes back to you... dah dah dah dah dah dah :P (today seems to be full of BM metaphors and similes)


Now singing Bugsy Malone songs,
LMC
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment